Google

What Else Is In Scott's Head?

The blog site for writer Scott C. Smith. Some observations on the world we live in and life in general. And maybe some politics.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

A Quick Look At Pop Culture: Halo 2

Normally I talk about politics and the media, but today I wanted to touch on a less serious subject, video games. Specifically, the game Halo 2.

What you are about to read will undoubtedly be considered blasphemy by the Halo community.

Here goes.

What's the big deal?

Like many Xbox owners, I plunked down cash to reserve Halo 2 a few months ago. I had played the original Halo, and thought it was an okay game. I can think of several games I've enjoyed more: Deus Ex, Half-Life and Max Payne come to mind.

But, like most robots influenced by advertising, I thought, why not?, and plunked down some money back in June to reserve my copy.

The big day came. And no, I did not wait in line at midnight to pick up my copy. I made my purchase, came home, played for about an hour, and thought, Okay...and?

I don't know, maybe I'm in the wrong age demographic. Here's an amazing fact: over 1.5 million copies of Halo 2 were pre-ordered.

Here's another amazing fact: sales for the title were expected to reach or exceed 100 MILLION dollars.

Pretty amazing.

I was expecting price gouging at Ebay, but prices were roughly what you'd pay at a store. Expect the Ebay price to rise once retailers run out of copies of Halo 2.

In the meantime, I will gladly sell you my copy for, oh, I don't know, $200.

Just kidding.

Coming up next: I bitterly attack the red-state voters. Yes, I mean YOU. I just have to get in some quality Halo 2 time first...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home